If you're a fan of boozy desserts like I am, these grown-up cupcakes will hit the mark. They take a little time to prepare, but are pretty much my most favorite cupcakes in the whole world, so I think they're worth it!
As usual, you'll start off by creaming the butter and sugar until fluffy. Once you mix in the curdled soy milk and vanilla, things will start to get a little thin and lumpy, but don't despair! By the time you add the dry ingredients and fold in the peaches, everything will come together.
Fill the cups about two-thirds full. I find that using an ice cream scoop keeps things neat and tidy.
The cupcakes are ready when they pass the toothpick test. Cool them on wire racks and don't even THINK about frosting them if they're the slightest bit warm to the touch.
Oh, did i mention the frosting? This stuff is INSANE. Vegan cream cheese and bourbon will do some crazy things to your taste buds. Just make sure it's stiff enough to form peaks without dripping or oozing. If the frosting is too runny, beat in some more powdered sugar until it stiffens up.
Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe on the frosting and garnish with peach slices. Amazing!
Gingery Peach and Bourbon Cream Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup vegan margarine, cut into pieces
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 peaches, peeled, pitted and finely diced
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 peach, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Prepare the cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a 12 cup tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl.
- Cream together the margarine and both sugars until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and soymilk mixture. Add the dry ingredients in batches while beating on a low speed until just combined. Fold in peaches.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full of batter and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes sit until cool enough to handle then move to a wire rack and cool completely
- Prepare the frosting. With an electric mixer, cream together the vegan cream cheese and vegetable shortening. Add the powdered sugar and bourbon in small batches. Once the ingredients are well combined, add the vanilla. Continue to beat for 5 minutes or until fluffy. Chill in fridge until needed.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, pipe or spread with frosting and garnish with peach slices.