Ok, guys. It's time to put down the Tofurkey and get serious about sandwiches. When is making a fancy sandwich worth the extra work? When it's THIS sandwich. I don't screw around with caramelized onions, people. I pair them with a heavenly sun-dried tomato artichoke spread that's ridiculously easy to make. Did I mention the peppery arugula and basil? Let's do this.
The first thing to take care of is the tempeh. Most tempeh cakes come pretty thick, and I find that cutting them into thinner rectangles allows them to soak up more flavor. Start by cutting the cake in half crosswise, then slicing each half vertically down the middle so that you end up with 4 thin rectangles. If you're a more of a visual learner, the images above might help.
The tempeh gets marinated in a beautiful combination of Italian flavors that include balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary.
Don't rush the onions. The longer and slower they caramelize, the sweeter they'll be.
To make this amazing, zesty sun-dried tomato artichoke spread, blend sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts in a food processor. That's it. Maybe add a little olive oil if it ends up too dry.
Now it's time to grill the tempeh to perfection. If you have a grill pan, you can even do it indoors.
Once everything's done cooking, layer it on a roll with some crispy, fresh arugula and basil. Does this make you excited about lunch time or what?
Grilled Tempeh Sandwiches With Sundried Tomato Artichoke Spread
Makes 4 sandwiches
Important: You'll need a grill or a grill pan to make this recipe. You'll also want to allow yourself enough time to marinate the tempeh. I think it tastes best when marinated for at least 2 hours.
1 (8 oz) package tempeh
1/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 clove garlic, smashed with the flat side of a knife
1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained
1 (6 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
4 Ciabatta rolls or 8 slices artisanal bread (sourdough, French, etc)
4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
1 bunch arugula
1 bunch basil
- Prepare the tempeh. Cut the tempeh cake in half, widthwise. Slice each half carefully down the middle, height wise, so you have 4 thin squares. Combine all marinade ingredients in a 9” square dish. Add the tempeh and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Keep covered in the fridge for 2 hours, flipping once.
- Prepare the sandwiches. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until browned and caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking, combine the sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is well minced and takes on a spreadable consistency. Blend in a tiny bit of olive oil if it isn't sticking together.
- Coat a grill or grill pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Grill the tempeh slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Cut the rolls in half and spread each side with vegan mayonnaise. Spread the top halves with the sun dried tomato and artichoke mixture. Layer the bottom halves with arugula leaves, basil leaves, tempeh and caramelized onions. Close the sandwiches and serve.