Think about it. What sane person - man or woman, adult or child, vegan or non-vegan - doesn't like waffles? Fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside and filled with any combination of goodies you can imagine...is there really a single soul who will claim to dislike them? This is why you need to make waffles all the time, and serve them to anyone who comes to visit. Serve them for brunch. Serve them for dessert. Serve them for dinner. I'm serious. Why not?
The trick to getting your waffles fluffy is to use curdled soy milk. It's really easy to make. Just mix soy milk and vinegar together, and it will start to bubble and separate. Not only does the reaction give your waffles more lift, but the vinegar helps activate the baking soda, making them even fluffier.
While the soy milk curdles, you can assemble your other ingredients so you've got a dry mix and a wet mix. Mix them together and fold in your fillings. You can add pretty much anything...fruit, nuts, chocolate chips...whatever makes you happy. Oh, and in the meantime, you should preheat your waffle iron.
Waffle irons usually come with some basic instructions on how to use them, and I advise actually reading those. I also like to keep my oven warm so I can toss the waffles in there as I make them. That way they'll be crispy and ready to go when the whole batch is done.
That's pretty much it...not much work for a whole lot of joy. Dig in!
Makes 8 (6 1/2”) round waffles
2 cups soy milk
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 - 1 cup optional filling (berries, nuts, vegan chocolate chips)
Serve with: maple syrup
- Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to curdle.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the oil and vanilla into the soymilk mixture, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until few lumps remain, then fold in filling if using.
- Lightly coat waffle maker with non-stick spray and cook waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve with maple syrup.