It took me years to learn how to make a decent stir fry, and even now the ones I cook come nowhere near the quality of those made at my favorite Chinese restaurant. It truly is an art, and many people end up overcooking everything into a mushy, soggy mess.
The trick is to use very high heat and cook your vegetables only long enough so they are just perfectly tender-crisp. Hitting that sweet spot takes a lot of experience, I think, but over time you learn to notice how the veggies should look and what color they ought to be once they're done.
To make this Agave Glazed Golden Stir Fry, you first want to fry up some tofu and set it aside. Then, flavor your oil with garlic, ginger and chilies.
Soften some onions, then add bell peppers and carrots.
Stir the tofu back in. Finally, pour on a glaze made with agave, soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce and rice wine.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Agave Glazed Golden Stir Fry With Tofu
2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 pound extra firm tofu, pressed (see tip) and cut into small triangles
3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
1” ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 small dried red chilies, halved
1 small onion, cut into bite sized chunks
2 small yellow bell peppers, cut into bite sized chunks
2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Serve with: rice
- Whisk together sake, soy sauce, oyster sauce, agave nectar and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of peanut oil in a large wok or pan over medium high heat and fry tofu for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Move to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of peanut oil, then add ginger, garlic and dried chilis. Cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the onion and cook 3 minutes or until just softened. Add bell pepper and carrots. Cook 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Return tofu to the wok.
- Pour agave mixture over veggies and tofu. Mix well as sauce thickens. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with rice.